Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ka-Boom!

Well here goes...I will start out with a bang.

Since it is election season, I often ask myself, "why are you a Democrat?" So below are a few points that outline why I am a Democrat, obviously I can't outline everything so I stuck to the biggies...


1. Being a Democrat runs in my family. Yes, I have had to confront this family tradition and decide if it is right for me. I choose to follow my parents, some of you know that they are two of the most generous, kind, and good people on earth. When we go to vote on election day, most of my family happens to vote at the same precinct so we go together. One time, years ago, when we were leaving, my dad leaned over to me and said, "Kelly, do you know what those poll workers are saying right now?" "No what, dad?" "They are saying, well there goes a fine looking group of Democrats!"


2. I am one in a long line of educators. Education I feel is a Democratic ideal. Although, the American Public School System needs a bit of tweeking, I can honestly say that it is one of the priorities that makes America great. Think of the countries that do not have a school system set up to educate everyone regardless of wealth (Haiti, other third world countries) and you will see failure and lack of hope. In fact, I was reading in the good old Book of Mormon and it actually plainly confirmed my belief, it was in 3 Nephi where the people were swaying between being righteous and wicked. 3 Nephi 6:9-14 tells the story of the righteous people who began to sway, they became prideful because of their wealth, verse 12 states, "And the people began to be distinguished by ranks, according to their riches and their chances for learning; yea, some were ignorant because of their poverty, and others did receive great learning because of their riches." I love that America gives everyone a chance, sometimes seconds and thirds. My dad was an alternative education teacher and I cannot tell you how many of his students have told him that they are what they are today because of him. Education is the key and we all should try to provide equal education for everyone.


3. I have an overwhelming sense of community. Some of you already know that. But that definitely plays to my Democratic leanings. I think we are better together. It is always better lift everyone up instead of ourselves.


4. How about immigration? Well I loved this year when our state legislature was considering taking away in-state tuition to "illegal immigrants", the LDS Church released a statement that we should be compassionate. I don't think villianizing these individuals, labeling them, making them scared, blaming them for everything that is wrong in our society, etc. is being compassionate. That is how I feel because if I were in their shoes, I would probably try to come here, "illegally", to help my family too.


5. The abortion issue is obviously a sticking point. Most Democrats are not baby killers contrary of popular belief. I would never even consider abortion an option because I value life so much. I do however believe that when it comes to abortion we are definitely arguing the wrong points, we should not be arguing the pros or cons but rather the whys. Why would someone feel that it is OK to abort a child? What happened in these women's lives to get them to the point of an abortion? We as a society should be confronting these issues and not each other.


6. Guns, guns, guns...yes we do have guns at our house and yes I have been called a hypocrite for doing so. My stance on guns is this, I do not feel more safe with everyone carrying concealed weapons, I am sorry I don't. Also if there were an intruder in my house I would not have time to go get the out gun because it is properly secured, so I need to not rely on a gun, right? I do feel that the government cannot and should not come in and take our household guns but I also say that we can create laws that might make it more difficult for assault weapons to be introduced in our streets.


7. Homosexuals, what would you want for your child? That is all that I can say about that because I know I wouldn't want my child to be called names, beat up and made fun of, and deprived the basics of a happy life, would you?


8. Health care and welfare and all those evil "communist" programs. I really think that the role of government is to help its people, what else is it there for? Again, compare countries who place high emphasis on the care of its people to those countries who don't. There are extremes both ways and the US is doing a pretty good job of keeping itself in the middle. I do not believe that all of those who receive welfare checks are evil...not my place to judge. I just want the children taken care of and to have half a chance in this world.


Anyway, that may sound a little self indulgent and you may think that I am being preachy but it feels good to get some of my thoughts on "paper". One of my biggest pet peeves is being misunderstood so maybe this inaugural post will provide some clarity... it helped me!

Love to you all, your local Democrat

6 comments:

Perla said...

I never thought I would see the day...that you would vote Democrat. Haha. Just kidding. I meant I never thought I'd see the day that you posted something to your blog. Hurray! I hope that others will be forthcoming.

And I'm glad you can share your feelings about politics. Its good to be able to discover your own views on things and be able to feel confident in your position. I have worked much harder this year than in past elections to really educate myself and come to my own conclusions--not things that i have mostly just accepted from family or others in the past.

And I'm glad that we can be such good friends and have the same beliefs in so many things, even if we interpret them a little differently.

I really loved your quotes from the Book of Mormon on learning. I am now in Ether on my reading route and those verses in 3rd Nephi definitely stuck out to me way more this time around than they have in the past.

Nancy said...

WHAT THE!! Why did I have no idea whatsoever that you were totally really truly blogging now. I was so disapointed after my initial excitement of you being blog girl that you DID NOT be blog girl . . . and then, when I least expect it, I see you commenting on Megs about how to take music off of your blog (and I too like my blog to be a quiet place) and I am like WHAT!!! Kelly is finally having a gafarliche wege?? So here I am!! Please don't make me come beat you up (And I can since I just moved back THIS WEEK) by not continuing. Yip yip yippee!!

Oh, and someday I will quit being such an ignorant fool and start knowing my politics like all the rest of you responsible citizens!

Kristin said...

What???? You can be a Democrat AND a Mormon??? Just kidding--of course. I'm just repeating the question I am asked at least once or twice each election season. I saw your comment on Shannon's blog and found yours! Happy for me. :-) Anyway, I had to comment on this because I so agree with you. I especially value the Democrats' view of building the strength of the community and public education. It is nice to know that there are lots of good Democrats!! (And, it was fun to have dinner last month. We'll have to do it again soon. . . .)

Mugsy said...

YO YO Kelly!! Let the political banter begin!!! JK, I am definately becoming more educated on issues and topics in the political world. It is nice to be able to ask questions and be more educated without getting "up in arms" and all emotional over politics. My stand point; Both parties are flawed, both parties have good also. But for me and my house, it will boil down to the better canidate and rarely party line. And with that being said politics is not my religion nor ever will be, so lets all get along and learn a thing or two from all around us.
Nice start for a good bloggy shmog!!!!

Kass said...

Yeah! You're blogging! I loved your post, Kell! It was good to hear more of your stance & why you have certain beliefs. I love that politics (being a DEMOCRAT) is one of your passions. You have definitely made a HUGE impact in these parts with the sense of community you've instilled & the responsibility we have to take care of each other without being judgemental. Thanks!

Maddock Family said...

Kelly! Hey I am not sure if it was you or Jamie that rescued my mom the other day, but thank you so much. She was so embarrased to call y'all. I hope you and yours are doing well. Great post.
Love
Kim Maddock